Hello Dear Friends,
Today’s video came in response to multiple viewers that requested I share a dish they could take to their next potluck, and I immediately thought of my roasted vegetable and maftoul salad! Maftoul is like couscous, only larger so that it is more chewy to eat and absorbs that much more flavor. It is popular among Moroccans and Palestinians, and is used in a variety of soups, stews, and pilafs.
If you don’t have maftoul, you can use orzo, freekeh, farro, quinoa or even wheatberries if you wish. For this recipe, I love the vegetables of the Mediterranean, like zucchini, eggplant, red onions and tomatoes, but you can swap out any vegetables you prefer. This salad really comes to life with a variety of herbs, feta, pistachios, and a lemony olive oil dressing. Use a really good quality fruity olive oil to make all the difference in this recipe.
The best part about this dish is you can eat it at room temperature, so it is perfect for potlucks and parties! It tastes even better the second day, and makes a great side dish for chicken or fish.
Please check out the video below for some cooking tips to make this dish spectacular!
MAFTOUL SALAD WITH VEGGIES
- Chicken broth
- 8 ounces Maftoul (or orzo, farro, or wheat berries)
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and 3/4-inch diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and 1-inch diced
- 2-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For the Dressing:
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-4 scallions, minced (white and green parts)
- 1/4 cup pistachios or pine nuts
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta
- 10 fresh basil leaves, cut into chiffonade
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cook the maftoul in boiling broth (according to package directions) for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl. Toss the eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini, onion, and garlic with the olive oil, salt, and pepper on a large baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes, or until browned, turning once with a spatula. Meanwhile, Add the roasted vegetables to the maftoul, scraping all the liquid and seasonings from the roasting pan into the pasta bowl. For the dressing, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper and pour on the pasta and vegetables. Let cool to room temperature, then add the scallions, pistachios, feta, and basil. Serve at room temperature.