Just an update that you can catch me this week on “California Live” on Tuesday and Wednesday, November 15 and 16 between 11:30-12:00 pm on all NBC California stations! I will be sharing some special Thanksgiving stories and recipes to inspire you this holiday season. Speaking of Thanksgiving, today I am have posted a video for my absolute favorite winter salad recipe. You can serve this as a Thanksgiving side dish, or enjoy it post Thanksgiving like I do with heaps of leftover turkey and cranberry sauce on top. This recipe is also on page 83 of my cookbook, which you can order here if you wish: https://secure.mybookorders.com/Orderpage/2189 This makes a great gift for yourself or the foodie friends and family in your life!
This is one of my favorite salads to prepare when craving something light yet hearty for wintery days. The roasted carrots and chickpeas add some sweetness and comforting starchy textures, while the arugula and capers add a peppery bite. Walnuts add crunch and extra protein and feta and tahini dressing add that creamy mouthfeel. Feel free to swap out the carrots for butternut or kabocha squash or even sweet potatoes if you wish. You can also add more sweetness with sultanas or dried figs, or use pistachios instead of the walnuts. This is your chance to get creative, because the honey lemon tahini dressing on top is so versatile it tastes great with everything. I also use this dressing over grains and even fish. Check out my video for the easy technique, as well as get the back story on why I love this salad recipe so much!
MEDITERRANEAN WINTER SALAD
- 3 cups arugula washed and stems removed
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 tbsp crumbled feta cheese (or nutritional yeast if vegan)
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and julienne cut
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tahini Dressing
- 2 tbsp tahini (Middle Eastern sesame paste)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp water (to thin out, you can use more if you wish)
- 2 tbsp honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp dried mint or 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine the carrots, chickpeas, olive oil, cumin, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper to taste and spread on a baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes until browned and tender. Meanwhile,prepare the tahini dressing, by placing all the ingredients (tahini through mint) in a blender and blend to combine. In a large bowl add the arugula, capers, and walnuts. Once baked, add the carrots and chickpeas. Toss to combine with the tahini dressing. Sprinkle the salad with feta cheese and serve immediately.